1. LAN (Local Area Network) is a computer network covering a small geographic area, like a home, office, schools, or group of buildings.
2. LAN has high speed (upto 1000mbps)
3. The best example for a LAN is the network in an organization.
4. The LAN is build using the layer 2 devices like switches, bridges and layer1 devices like hubs.
5. LAN is owned, controlled, and managed by a single person or organization
6. LAN is easier to maintain at relatively low costs.
7. LAN experiences fewer data transmission errors
1. WAN (Wide Area Network) is a computer network that covers a broad area.
2. WAN has less speed (upto 150mbps)
3. The best example for a WAN is the Internet
4. The WAN is build using the layers 3 devices Routers and Multi-layer Switches.
5. WAN’s are not owned by any one organization but rather exist under distributed ownership.
6. Maintaining WAN is difficult because of its wider geographical coverage and higher maintenance costs.
7. WAN experiences more data transmission errors.